Title: Justice Room'on the Terrace, Kildwick Hall - HLS05918
Click on the photo to enlarge. Click here to Comment
To license a hi-res version of this image or order a print: Copy the full title, including the number and quote this when contacting us. Not all images are available to license or print.
Justice Room'on the Terrace, Kildwick Hall - HLS05918
Architecture, Buildings, Garden, Garden feature, Gardens, Hall, Kildwick
Slide 3 - The pavilion at the east end of the Terrace (though a billiard table shows the use to which it is now put) is still known as the 'Justice Room', the owner at that time being an active magistrate. In those days justice was often dispensed at a magistrate's own house and it may well be that one of the uses of the Billiard Room was a 'Justice Room'. In 1704 Thomas Briggs, an ancestor of the present occupier, was brought before Henry Currer and Robert Farrer, for non-payment of tythes, perhaps in this room.
Hebden Bridge Literary & Scientific Society
1905 , 1900s
PHDA - Hebden Bridge Local History Society
George Hepworth, “Justice Room'on the Terrace, Kildwick Hall - HLS05918,” Pennine Horizons Digital Archive, accessed May 23, 2018, http://old.pennineheritage.org.uk/items/show/7314.