Browse Items (705 total)

  • Tags: River

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/AGW00255.jpg
James Watson Ltd. Weavers of cotton sateens, twills and similar fabrics, 1960.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00154.jpg
Originally a water powered cotton mill, by the time this photo was taken it was used by Frank Leelo as Tea Rooms to cater for the vast number of visitors to Hardcastle Crags. The Lodge at the gates into the Crags is on the right hand side.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00143.jpg
Looking towards Hebden Bridge with far left the cobbled double side sloping track up to the station. The track is still there but the station closed to passengers in 1951.

The street facing you is Valley Street. In front is James (Jimmy) Mitchell's…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00140.jpg
Behind the viaduct is Calderside Mill built in the 1820s by John Whiteley, after whom the viaduct came to be named. Reputedly it had the tallest chimney in the valley.

The bridge over the canal was a very early skew bridge and also one of the very…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00108.jpg
Gibson Mill, or Lord Holme Mill, at the heart of the Crags. Originally a water powered Cotton mill, subsequently supplemented by steam. By the 1890s it had become an 'entertainment emporium' providing for the vast number of visitors to the Crags…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/STW00143.jpg
Bathing pool and camp site, Wheat Ing Farm.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00259.jpg
SOYLAND MILL BRIDGE is at Dam Side over the Lumb Clough stream. It is a single-arch, undated, stone bridge. The following entries appear in the accounts for 1741 of John Normanton, the Sowerby Constable:¬
Paid Matthew Nickolson for Soyland Miln…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00258.jpg
SOWERBY BRIDGE was the subject of a paper by H. P. Kendall in the 1915 Transactions.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00257.jpg
In his will dated Feb 1st, 1533, John Waterhouse left twelve pence “to the amendying of Salterhebble.” W.B. Crump wrote that for the present this remains the earliest use of the dialect word “hebble”. In 1637 a fine of £40 was imposed on the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00256.jpg
ST. GEORGE'S BRIDGE, Hebden Bridge. was built in 1899, the cost being met by public subscription plus a grant from the West Riding County Council. The bridge had a very steep gradient, and before it was altered a chain horse was needed by loaded…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00255.jpg
RIPPONDEN OLD BRIDGE was written about by a former President of the Halifax Antiquairans, the late J. H. Priestley, and his paper appeared in the 1935 Transactions.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2