Browse Items (240 total)

  • Tags: Churches & Chapels

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/AGW00259.jpg
Showing the narrow entrance to Midgely Road. When Clough Mill, shown on the left, was demolished the road was widened.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CVH00146.jpg
Where did that name come from, can anyone help? St johns Church is at the bottom of the picture, with Church Bank Mill behind, beyond that Cragg School.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00330.jpg
On the hillside above Burnley Road the chapel was founded in 1777 and enlarged and extended over the years. The church closed in the 1960s and a part is now a private house but the rest is derelict and the chapel roofless.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00324.jpg
St Mary's is the historic Parish Church of Todmorden although although from 1832 until it closed 1992 that honour was held by Christ Church.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00323.jpg
The Grade l Listed building dates from 1865/9. It was built by the three Fielden brothers, Samuel, John Jr. and Joshua, in honour of their late father, ‘Honest’ John Fielden MP at a cost of £35,000. It closed in 1987 but following a £1M restoration…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00316.jpg
The image is overwritten 'Parish Church' but this is Christ Church and not St Mary's which is the historic Parish Church. However with the opening of Christ Church in 1832 that became the Parish Church. In 1987 the decision was taken to close one of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00314.jpg
View across Christ Church and the town to Cross Stone Church on the far hillside. Just discernible below the hillside on the left are the platforms of Stansfield Hall Station on the Todmorden - Burnley line. The station closed in 1944. Stansfield…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00313.jpg
View over the station goods yard to the Unitarian Chapel.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00303.jpg
Dedicated to St John the Divine the church dates fro the late 1790s.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00302.jpg
Dedicated to St John the Divine it is a fine Georgian Church dating from the late 18th century.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00298.jpg
RDA00298. Postcard looking over Mytholm to Heptonstall Church. The text says it was taken from the top of Horsehold Scout by Mr Lord of King Street. Formerly 184RD.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00297.jpg
View over the town from Fairfield looking up Hebden Dale about 1900. Bottom centre St Thomas' Catholic Church and next to it Pallis House.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00296.jpg
Looking up Colden Clough. Above St James' Church Upper and Lower Eaves Mills, below the church Mytholm Hall and to the left Pickles, which became Brown's, engineering works.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00294.jpg
Looking up the valley from above St James' Church. In the distance Calderside Mill and Whiteley Arches.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00292.jpg
Mount Zion Baptist Church was built in 1808 by a breakaway group from Birchcliffe Chapel in Hebden Bridge but the present building dates from 1878.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00289.jpg
An offshoot of Mount Zion Baptist Church, Heptonstall Slack built in 1820 to serve the community at Alcomden. The Church closed in 1959 and was then used as a scout hostel but demolished in 1971. A new hostel was built adjoining the graveyard.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00280.jpg
A small village on the moors above Todmorden with Stoodley Pike on the skyline and the United Methodist Chapel centre right.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00256.jpg
St Paul's Church, Cross Stone on the hillside above the Calder Valley to the east of Todmorden. The church seen here dates from 1833 but there had been a church on the site since the 15th century when it was a chapelry in Halifax Parish. The church…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00255.jpg
St Paul's Church, Cross Stone on the hillside above the Calder Valley to the east of Todmorden. The church seen here dates from 1833 but there had been a church on the site since the 15th century when it was a chapelry in Halifax Parish. The church…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00254.jpg
The area down the Calder Valley to the east of the town with Cross Stone Church on the hillside.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00251.jpg
Looking down the Upper Calder Valley. Cross Stone Church on the hillside with canal wharf in the centre.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00246.jpg
East of the town centre on the Halifax-Todmorden Road (now the A646) near Hall Royd. Cross Stone Church on the hilltop.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00240.jpg
All Saints Church, Harley Wood, Lydgate opened 1858 and was demolished in 1975 following closure.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00239.jpg
All Saints Church, Harley Wood, Lydgate opened 1858 and was demolished in 1975 following closure.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2