Browse Items (65 total)

  • Tags: #Railway trains

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC04446.jpg
Wade, one of the engines used during the building of the Walshaw Dean reservoirs

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00616.jpg
21 June 1912. 'The Manchester to Leeds express literally burst the rails asunder' on the already notorious Charlestown Curve between Hebden Bridge and Todmorden killing four people. Postcard.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00607.jpg
ESAU was one of 15 Bagnall locos used on the works line during construction of Walshaw Dean Reservoirs. On the footplate is Enoch Tempest the construction contractor and next to him,sitting on the coal, his nephew or grandson George Tempest. On the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00457.jpg
A westbound train, headed by an Aspinall 4-4-2, departing from Mytholmroyd Station pre-First World War. It is running on the 'slow' lines which would have been unusual for an express train, possibly due to the 'fast' line being recently…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00273.jpg
LYRS 0467 - Aspinall 0-6-0ST No. unknown at the Goods Yard, including wagons for a Burnley based colliery. The yard closed to general goods in 1964 and to coal in 1972; it is now the station car park.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00198.jpg
LYRS 4578 - 1951. General view of the platforms, buildings and canopy looking east. Only the canopy and adjacent building now survive but disused and passenger facilities are bus-stop style shelters on each platform. The station was de-staffed in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00184.jpg
LYRS 4540 - 1951. General view of platform, buildings, canopy and goods yard looking towards Mytholmroyd as Stainer 4-6-0 5MT. No. 45201 approaches. The station closed to passengers in 1962 and to goods in 1965.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00182.jpg
LYRS 1442 - Hughes 0-8-0 Number 1357 heading a goods train between Luddendenfoot and Sowerby Tunnel. To the right of the funnel, St Walburga's Catholic Church on Burnley Road is just visible.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00181.jpg
LYRS 1157 - Aspinall 4-4-2, Highflyer, No 737 heading a Leeds express with bogie stock carriages, as opposed to rigidly-mounted axles, on the embankment between Luddendenfoot and Sowerby Tunnel. Above the smoke the tower of the former…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00176.jpg
LYRS 3831b - General view of station, unusual signal box and goods yard looking south. The station opened for goods traffic in 1874 when the line to Holmfield was constructed and for passengers in 1880 and closed to them in 1955 when the Queensbury…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00159.jpg
LYRS 2667 - Barton Wright 4-4-0 heading a westbound train on the 'up' Manchester platform. . The first station opened in 1840 to the east of Huddersfield Road and new station, seen here, to the west of Huddersfield Road was opened in the 1890s. It…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00157.jpg
LYRS 4768 - Copley Station - general view of platforms, signal box and unidentified loco and train. The station, mid-way between Halifax and Milner Royd Junction on the Calder Valley Main Line, opened in 1855 to serve Akroyd's model village which…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00155.jpg
LYRS 0344 - Aspinall 2-4-2T at Copley Station. The station, mid-way between Halifax and Milner Royd Junction on the Calder Valley Main Line, opened in 1855 to serve Akroyd's model village which pre-dated Titus Salts much more famous Saltaire. The…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00151.jpg
LYRS 2596 - West Vale Station in LMS days with a Halifax bound Railmotor. Unusually for a small station it had stone buildings on both platforms. This Railmotor LMS No. 10614 has a double bogie in addition to its articulated coach, quite a load to…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00148.jpg
LYRS 1818 - Railmotor Coach No 3 at Stainland & Holywell Green Station. The Stainland Branch left the Calder Valley Main Line at Greetland and opened in 1875 up to near Brookroyd Mills at Holywell Green, whose owners, the Shaws, had influenced the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00123.jpg
LYRS 4330 - Sowerby Bridge Station - general view looking east in 1910 with unidentified Aspinall. There were six platforms, now reduced to two, all with canopies which were taken down after the Second World War.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00114.jpg
LYRS 0663 - Railmotor No 8 on Ripponden Branch at Sowerby Bridge. The branch line from Sowerby Bridge to Ripponden opened in 1878 and on to Rishworth in 1881. The original intention had been to tunnel under Blackstone Edge and re-join the Manchester…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00113.jpg
LYRS 0657a - Hughes 0-4-0RM No 11 at Sowerby Bridge. The branch line from Sowerby Bridge to Ripponden opened in 1878 and on to Rishworth in 1881. The original intention had been to tunnel under Blackstone Edge and re-join the Manchester line near…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00110.jpg
LYRS 1391 - Hughes 0-4-0RM No 1 heading west at Watson's Crossing, a Halt on the Rishworth Branch. The Branch from Sowerby Bridge to Ripponden opened in 1878 and on to Rishworth in 1881. The original intention had been to tunnel under Blackstone Edge…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00106.jpg
LYRS 1470a - 1911. Aspinall 0-6-0ST, re-built Saddle Tank, No. 541 on the Rishworth Branch at Watsons Crossing with an engineers' ballast train working "the wrong line". Although built double track only one had been used commercially.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2