Farnley Hall, located to the west of Leeds city centre, is a Grade II listed building. Built by the Danbys in Elizabethan times, it is recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book as Fernelei, so possibly a house has stood here from medieval times. The house was partly demolished in the 18th century, and rebuilt in the style we see today. An early drawing of the original Tudor house can be seen in the British Library. In 1945 Leeds City Council acquired the Hall and the grounds became Farnley Hall Park. The notes accompanying each photograph are from a series of lectures first given to the Hebden Bridge Literary & Scientific Society by Mr. George Hepworth around 1916.